Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mormon Battalion Historic Site


This was one of my favorite things about our San Diego trip. This museum is in Old Town San Diego and is a guided tour all about the Mormon Battalion, which concluded in San Diego. Some of my ancestors were in the battalion, so I was excited to see it, but I was really surprised when my ancestors were the stars of the presentation!


They had these talking pictures representing some of the pioneers that participated in the battalion. The man on the bottom right is supposed to be Zemira Palmer, which is the family I'm related to. He was the star of the movie they showed us. It was sooo cool to see their lives played out on film.

I'm a little nerdy on this particular subject; but this family, and his mother in particular, have always been really important to me. I love family history. I'm actually related to them through both of my parents lines. I was so excited to be able to teach the kids a little about their own family history.


Ethan and Caitlin got to dress up as the members of the battalion might have then. This just about made me cry to picture my Ethan and Caitlin as their ancestors; Ebeneezer Brown and his wife, Phebe Draper Palmer Brown.

I know, I'm sorry. Nerd!


After the show the kids got to pan for gold and even got to take home a couple nuggets of gold (fool's gold).

I loved this and was so glad we did it. Really fun for those that like church history. They also have a name list where you can look up to see all the names of the battalion members.

1 comment:

shauntel said...

So cool. I spent most of my summers as a child visiting church sites and I can't wait to take my kids to some.